Saturday, July 30, 2011

anthropologie inspired DIY lamp

Good afternoon!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful lazy Saturday :) I know I am! I have had another wonderful week... just thankful for the incredible friends I've been blessed with and enjoying these last few weeks of summer. School starts SO SOON! I cannot believe it but I am honestly really excited!

So for a long time I've been dying to make this lamp and last night I got the opportunity to! I had SO MUCH FUN! It was relatively easy and took about 3 hours. I know I said the pillow I last blogged about was my favorite project so far but.... I lied. THIS is definitely my new favorite project!!! I love it!

Here is the before picture. I bought this lamp for only $1.95 at a thrift store in Murfreesboro (Outreach Thift)!!! Such a great deal! AND it worked which made it even better.


and here's a better picture of just the lamp base. The lamp really wasn't that awful to begin with. It just really needed some sprucing up and some pizazz. So that's what I gave it!

and finally.... the after picture!!!! I love it!!! The shade is covered in burlap and has burlap ruffles hot glued to it. The lamp base is spray painted with Krylon's Blue Ocean Breeze spray paint.


Here's a close up picture of the burlap lamp shade.

I love love love it!!!


And there is my fabulous lamp! It was pretty easy! I followed this tutorial here for inspiration for my lamp and honestly kind of just copied their idea :) But hey, imitation is the highest form of flattery right? One thing I suggest from my experience is to follow their tutorial EXACTLY. Do EVERY step! It will make your life so much easier!

They didn't do a great job of explaining how to recover the lamp shade in the beginning so thankfully I found another fabulous video tutorial that explains exactly how to do it! You can find that tutorial here.

I ended up using about 2 yards of white burlap, 1/2 a can of Krylon spray paint, and about 15 glue sticks. Overall the project was pretty cheap too!

Price:
Lamp- $1.95 at a thrift store
Burlap- $7.44 for 2 yards at Joann's
Spray paint- $3.97 at Walmart
Hot glue gun, hot glue sticks, iron, scissors- I already had this all at home

So the total cost for my project was $13.36!! Not bad at all! I loved this project and I'm now kind of obsessed with recovering lamp shades and making new lamps. I'm already looking for new lamp ideas! :)

Well I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day! Hopefully I'll be crafting more this week and posting another craft soon :) Love you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment