Monday, May 30, 2011

second craft: flower key holder

Thank you so much for the nice compliments on my blog! This is something I've been dying to do and I'm so excited I finally have the time.

To start off this beautiful Memorial Day, I'm going to share a craft my sister and I completed last night. We had SO much fun! My sister isn't really a crafter so I ended up basically doing hers for her but she did add some touches of her own.

I found this tutorial online to make a book page flower key holder. It looked easy enough and once again, I had all the materials at home so we decided to give it a try! Here are our final products:

This is mine. Yellow accents, of course :)

This is my sister's (Shawn). She decided to burn the edges of her flower (consequently almost burning down the house).


You can find the tutorial for this project here. It was very simple to do! As always, I altered a few things to give it my own touch and to use things I already had at home. These are the changes I made:
  1. We didn't have wire hangers at home but we had those cheap clear ones you get at department stores. So Shawn and I cut off the metal part of one of those and just used that! It worked just as well and I like the silver look of the key holder part.
  2. We decided to embellish ours a little more than the tutorial did. We decided to make initials in Microsoft Word with our favorite colors and print them off and put those in the center of our flowers. It was very easy and I like the personalization it gives!
  3. Since we didn't use the wire hangers, we weren't able to make a loop out of wire on the back to hang our key holders. So me being the fabulous and crafty woman that I am (sarcasm), I decided to make a hook out of cardboard. It worked just as well if not better because it could lay flat against the wall where the wire would make the key holder hang away from the wall.
  4. Shawn decided to burn the edges of her flower by just placing it over a candle. I didn't like this look so I chose not to do it but I think it turned out great for her!
and that is how we made our cute book page flower key holders! I even tested them with a pretty heavy set of keys and the key holder held up! I would say this was a huge success and it was EASY.

As always..... Cost: $0. LOVE cute, LOVE free, LOVE crafts!

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Enjoy your day off with your families! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment